Friday, August 24, 2012

It's a Facebook Kind of Thing


A friend recently told me, “I haven’t called lately because I’ve been keeping up with what’s happening in your life by looking at Facebook.”  Hmmmm…I’m really not one to broadcast my every move.  You probably won’t know what I eat for every meal, what time I go to bed or the daily happenings in my life.  Yes, there are times that I will post about my struggles and joys, but I prefer to share the humor that I see around me or insights that life has taught me.  I really don’t think that reading my Facebook posts can really clue you in to who I am and what my life is about.  To gain that, you need to spend time with me and have conversations with me. 
Going to church is like Facebook sometimes.  It’s a great experience and you can learn about who God is from each week’s selected scriptures.  You can spend a little time talking to Him, but it’s not a real relationship with Him if it stops there.  It takes spending time with Him….having real conversations with Him on a consistent and continuous basis.  No, limiting your engagement with God to an hour or so a week isn’t a relationship with Him any more than occasionally looking at someone’s Facebook wall counts as a real relationship.

1 comment: