Monday, March 28, 2011

God and Digital Cable

Today’s random thought is somewhat humorous, but I managed to get some meaning out of it.
Dan and I decided that the current deal on the digital cable/internet/telephone bundle was a good deal. I called on Monday to make an appointment and they were able to come over on Tuesday. I called home on Tuesday to see how things were going and Dan told me that something had happened that resulted in the entire block losing their cable. I went home after school and noticed that the cable was still not working. About an hour later, it still wasn’t working. I figured that they would probably fix it the next day and went on with other activities. I ventured up to the sewing room where I found another receiver, just as we planned. I figured I would watch a movie while I sewed, so I turned the TV on. The digital cable was working. I thought that was strange so I went back downstairs to check out the set in the living room. Still no signal. I decided to investigate a little further. It was then that I noticed that the cable was not attached to the wall. I hooked it up and it worked!
So here’s the deeper meaning. There’s no way that we can hear what God has to say unless we are plugged into Him. We can sit in church, go through the motions, act like we believe, but if we are not truly plugged into Him and His Word, it’s like sitting in front of the TV with the cable unhooked. If we can’t hear what He has to say, how can we pretend to be following His will for our lives? The Bible is very clear on the basic do’s and don’ts, but we choose to ignore them with the rationalization that God somehow is ok with it. It’s only if we are plugged in that the desires of our hearts are overtaken by the desires of His. Spend some (ok, a lot) of time plugging into God and you’ll be amazed by how clear things become.

No comments:

Post a Comment