Monday, March 28, 2011

Random Construction Thoughts

I asked myself this morning, “Why can’t the remodeling project, just be the remodeling project? Why do I feel this need to find life application in things around me?”
I don’t know the answer, but it is what it is so I guess I’ll just go with it. Now, on to the random thoughts.

1. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. 
2. Trying to cover up the problems with quick fixes, results in having to do a lot more work to deal with the problems later.
3. Even though on the outside things might look good, you still have to deal with what’s on the inside.
4. God can give you the greatest blessings in the middle of asking Him to bless your meal.
5. When you can’t understand what’s going on because of the circumstances around you, God provides a way to get a clearer picture.

I’m sure there will be more random thoughts as the week progresses. These are what I have seen in the first day of the project.

Random thought number 1.
My house looks like a crack house. Granted, it has a beautiful new front door and 2 new windows, so far, but it still looks like a crack house. In order to put on the new siding, the stucco had to be removed. Some of this was done a couple of weeks ago and the rest was done on Saturday. When we started this project, the house badly needed a facelift, but compared to what it looks like at this point, it wasn’t so bad. I am completely confident that in the next week, things will progress and the outcome will be phenomenal.
Many times, we are like my house. We are badly in need of a heart reconstruction. Peeling off the layers of what life has handed us, and the consequences of sins we have committed can be messy and painful. We dread the process, so are contented to stay the way we are and not deal with it. Unfortunately, that never allows God to develop the new and improved version. The process of peeling off the layers and letting God do the work that needs to be done isn’t the most pleasant experience, but the end result makes it worth it.

Random thought number 2
In the process of removing the stucco and windows, we got a few surprises. Every once in awhile, I would see Jeramy and Justin standing and looking at part of the house. This usually meant there was an obstacle to overcome. Pretty soon they had figured out what to do and were working to correct the problem. More than once, I heard mutterings of wondering why the people that had done the work originally hadn’t done it right in the first place. Their mistakes and shortcuts caused more work now.
Quick fixes and shortcuts don’t cut it in life either. You have to get at the heart of the issue and take care of it. It’s easier to do the quick fixes, but somewhere along the way, you are going to have to deal with it. 
Random thought number 3
Construction causes a great deal of dust. I know that in a few days, the outside of my house is going to look incredible. The inside is another story. There is a layer of dust on everything. Put that with several additional people staying here and one of them being an amazing 1 year old little girl, and the interior of the house looks like a small tornado hit it. I have a choice next week. I can concentrate my energy on getting into the cracks and crevices to remove the debris or I can ignore it until I leave on my vacation. I highly doubt that the cleaning fairies will come to visit while I’m gone so coming home to the same dust and chaos would not be a good idea.
Here’s the life lesson. Even though we look good on the outside, if the inside of our lives isn’t cleaned up, we continue to live in mess and chaos. We can say the right things, claim the promises of God, and take our place in our favorite church pew, but if our hearts aren’t changed, our lives aren’t changed. We can become very skilled at pushing aside and covering up those things that we need to address. It is only when we look within our hearts and ask God to reveal those places that need attention that we can truly be authentic.

Random thought number 4
I can’t comment on this one for a while, but will definitely be revisiting this thought.

Random thought number 5 
I’ve discovered that there are definite differences between men and women. I know that this revelation shocks you, but stay with me so I can explain. Stereotypically, men enjoy sports mainly because they enjoy the competition, the skill of the players, and thrill of victory. Women being more relational, like to know about the players. Personally, I don’t enjoy watching sports unless I either know the players or know about them. I need that relationship aspect.
With that being said, I will explain the thought. This past Friday, I listened to a baseball game on the radio. I didn’t really choose to. I just happened to be with someone who was very intent on the game. This particular game, if won, would put the Williston High School baseball team into the championship game. I don’t know many students outside of the ones that took my classes this past year. However, while we listened to the game, I recognized some names and started asking questions. A couple of the players had been my students and some I knew through Dan doing business with them. Now I had the relationship aspect that made me interested in the game.
The championship game was on Saturday night. I was interested in the game so contacted someone that I knew would be there and asked him to text me the score once in awhile. He agreed and also told me that the game would be on the radio. I tuned in, but wasn’t able to hear most of what was going on due to construction. It didn’t take long to figure out that the announcer was sitting next to someone from Williston. Each time we heard a lady scream, we knew something good had happened. I would send a text and find out what had happened.
Now for the life lesson. There seems to always be circumstances that cause us to not hear what God has to say. In the midst of the noise and confusion, we can’t always understand what we need to know. It is in those times, if we ask for God’s intervention, that He will provide for us people and situations that make things clearer. Those on the outside of the situation are often able to share with us the things that God wants us to know. We need to ask for God’s help, not only for Him to provide us with clearer pictures, but also that He will prompt us to be that clearer picture for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment