Monday, March 28, 2011

You can't save everyone


I really struggled the past couple of weeks with having to have 3 students permanently removed from one of my classes mostly due to behavior problems. There are the questions, "Could I have done more?" "Where did I fail these students?" "How will this affect their future?" I was sharing these struggles with another staff member. She told me that we can't save everyone. We can only save the ones that wanted to be saved. I thought about that and still felt like I could have/should have done more. 
I started to think about what God did for us. He did everything possible to save us from our sins and from ourselves and yet, people continue to go to hell. I believe that God agonizes over our decisions to not follow Him. I also believe that He has done everything to make it possible for us to have the life that He knows is best, but He can only save the ones that want to be saved. 
God is not a bully. He doesn't force us to follow Him. God is a gentleman. He allows us to choose whether or not we want to "be in His class." 
If that's the approach that God uses, is it fair for me to expect more of myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment