Monday, March 28, 2011

A new school year

School starts tomorrow. I'm excited. I also know that there will be challenges and apparently those challenges are already starting. I know that there are some people that won't like what I'm going to say, but that's ok. It's only my opinion.
This is for the parents.
I care about your child.  Because I care about your child there are some things that I would like you to know.
I care about your child enough to expect their best.  "It's good enough" isn't good enough.  I expect your child to do the best that THEY can.  I don't expect perfection, but I do expect them to get as close as they are able.
I care enough to know that things happen in a teenagers world that are traumatic.  I also know that allowing them to treat everything as traumatic is a big mistake.  If a bad hair day is the end of the world, they will never be able to cope with big issues that may come.  Be sympathetic and supportive, but also show them how to be realistic.  
I care enough to know that your child may not play for a professional sports team when they grow up.  I'm going to help them have some options, just in case that doesn't work out.
I care enough to report it if they say they are going to kill themselves, even if it's a joke.  I will never take a chance when their life could depend on it. To quote a student, "Thank you for telling what I said.  I wasn't kidding."  Besides the fact that the law mandates that I report it, I'd rather report it and be wrong than not report it and go to your child's funeral.
I care about your child enough to also alert the authorities if I have reason to believe that they are in an abusive situation.  Instead of being mad, appreciate the fact that there are people watching out for your child.
Teach your child to try to take care of their own problems.  If there is an issue in a class, the student should talk to me.  Yes, I make mistakes.  Coming into the school screaming that I don't know how to do my job because when your child turned their book in while I was teaching another class and I forgot to tell the office probably isn't necessary.  A simple "Mrs. Holm, could you please check your books because I'm sure I turned it in" is sufficient.  
I care enough to take care of myself.  I have a family.  I have a life outside of the school.  If I choose to go to extra-curricular activities, it's my choice.  It is not part of my job.  I have over 125 students this semester. There is no way that I can attend everything they are involved in.  If I'm there, be appreciative.  If I'm not, don't bash me in the comment section of the online newspaper or to everyone who will listen.  Remember that I have about one hour a day during school to grade papers and prepare lessons. 
Teachers really do have lives away from your child.  We have joys and sorrows, just like everyone else.  Try to remember that when you are calling the administration and complaining about a teacher missing school. (I actually had a parent do that when Dan was diagnosed with cancer. This parent knew about what was happening. Another parent became very angry with me when I returned to school after Dan died because I had missed school)  
Feel free to call me at home if there is an issue that cannot wait until school the next day, like a question about an assignment.  Please don't call me at home to ask about a grade.  I probably don't have the assignment at home with me.  Please don't stop me in public to give me details about your daughters period.  Yep, that happened.  Please be aware that when you send nasty emails or leave abusive messages on my voicemail at school, I save them and give them to the administration.  Don't make excuses for your child's choices, lie for them so they can avoid consequences, or hold teacher bashing sessions in your home.  It makes your child believe that they don't have to have respect.  
If you have an idea or a resource that you think may be helpful, please let me know.  If you have something positive to say, please let me know.  
Above all, remember that we are on the same team.  
Thank you for entrusting your child to me.  I take the responsibility very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment